Before I start……Happy New Year!!!!!
It’s New Year’s day and I’m working.
My shift started at 4am, so I had to leave the house around 3am. This meant driving through post-New Year crowds and traffic….in Las Vegas.
This is what I encountered:
- A mere 45 seconds into my drive an oncoming car veered into my lane for about 10 seconds before realising they were on the wrong side of the road. I had to stop the car otherwise I would have hit them!
- A multitude of cars were drifting between lanes without any indicators [turn signals] or awareness of others around them.
- A few cars straddling lanes for extended periods of time.
- Lots and lots of red lights. Seriously, I was at a set of red lights for almost 5 minutes, with no other cars going through the green lights on the cross street!
- A truck stopped in the middle of the road, blocking everyone. No reason that I could see. Also, no driver that I could see.
- Lots and lots of cars cutting each other up/off. One driver was so impatient at a red light that he moved into the ‘Right Turn Only‘ lane and then when the lights went green he went straight, cutting up the driver to his left just to get in front. He pulled over and parked 100 yards later.
- Lots of loud, drunk people teetering on the edge of the pavement [sidewalk] threatening to walk out in front of my car.
Now, this was the first time I had EVER had to drive to work on New Year’s day in Las Vegas. I couldn’t believe the experience compared to my normal commute…..
It was no different.